livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] chickens and rabbits together -- roosting spinner?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Fargir@aol.com
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] chickens and rabbits together -- roosting spinner?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:08:31 EDT

>do you have a photo of this?<

    Sorry, the last time I had chickens was over 30 years ago .:-) If you need one after reading this, I will see if I can talk my daughter into scanning and posting a picture, I will draw out a diagram.
     It is basically just a square rod supported at  both ends by nails put through holes so that the rod will spin.  What the holes are in, will depend on where and what the perch is over.
     If over something wood, two 1" by whatever boards, with holes drill  into them so that the roost is about a foot above  the object,  nailed onto the wood object would work.  Just be sure that the nail's sharp pointy end are not where you or a animal can hurt themselves. One may have to bend the point of the nail over, or in other words "chinch/ dead head" it.
    I would think that if you have the usuall wire mesh rabbit cages, just wiring the board with a few wraps of wire around the board and mesh would work. The spinning roost does not have to be able to hold the weight of the chickens, just the weight of the pole.
    It is possible with a low roof to just hang the rod with wire from it, above the cages.  Just make sure the wire loop around the nails are loose enough to let the nails spin.
    One should use a square rod instead of round one , i.e. a broom handle, because it is more likely to spin when the hen attempt to land on it. But both will work usually.
    If the @#$%^ chickens  ;-) are still roosting on the cages, try two or three rods over the cage, spaced so that there is not enough room to perch on the edges.
    If that does' work, you could always do what my brother did with the free running roosters that crowed in the windbreak right outside his window at 3 am. ----   Just after he got home, from a night on the town at 2:30 am.  He got up, grabbed the . 22, went to the windbreak and shoot a crowing one.  After about 2 weeks of this and lots of chicken dinners, we still had too many roosters, just none that crowed before sunrise. LOL.
    Good luck
Peggy in Iowa
wife, mother, and just me.

  • Re: [Livingontheland] chickens and rabbits together -- roosting spinner?, Fargir, 10/17/2007