livingontheland - [Livingontheland] winter squash or gourd ?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] winter squash or gourd ?
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:57:52 -0700 (PDT)

OK, at the risk of sounding VERY stupid -- LOL:

how does one figure out if what looks like a winter squash but might be a gourd is edible?

I grew the following:  butternut, longneck, seminole, and rouge de tempe.

One of these or some of these produced some things that look like a cross between a pumpkin and the seminole in that instead of being smaller in diameter, they are rounder on bottom but have a skinnier neck section, but the flesh looks like pumpkin or butternut.   Shoud I just try cooking one up and see what it tastes like?     I understand I shouldn't save seeds from any of these, but I'm happy if I can still eat them.

blessings,
Carrie