livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on fiberoptics?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Harold and Sue Karber" <karber@pldi.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on fiberoptics?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 00:12:01 -0500

Paul Fiber Optics or solar tubes do not use any energy whatsoever. ----- Original Message ----- From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2007 1:15 PM

My answer for end of tomato season is drying, freezing, and canning. Any
light setup for winter growing is going to be extremely expensive for a
good supply of fresh tomatoes.

On 10/7/2007 at 9:09 AM Kate Moran wrote:

Is there anyway to get some further details on how your son's fiberoptic
system was set up? It sounds like it has lots of elements that we would
like to incorporate. Up here in Wisconsin the tomatoes are ending and
that is so depressing.....
Kate
. When fiber optics were new one of my sons ran a tube of fiber optics from outside to the basement and grew tomatoes all winter as a school project. The light from the fiber optics worked great. True it was just one plant but it worked. His Science project was a mock space station with centrifugal force rotation, fiber optic growing of a closed system for food which had fish for protein to consume the worms that composted etc.. He even allowed for some fiber optics to be used for repairs so their storage was in use growing food
until or if ever needed for repairs. He also discovered that dirt was lighter
and easier to manage than hydroponics. He never worked out all the bugs but then he was just a pre-teen.