livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Organic fertilizer through Irrigation Mitchamore some ideas

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Harold and Sue Karber" <karber@pldi.net>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Organic fertilizer through Irrigation Mitchamore some ideas
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 21:44:39 -0500

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 7:27 PM
Subject: [Livingontheland] Organic fertilizer through Irrigation

What I do is different from what most of you do, but many of you have broad experiences, so it can't hurt to ask.

I grow native trees in containers, using a compost-based growing medium.  Since converting to organic materials (no more Ozmocote), my biggest problem is delivering good fertility to a limited root zone for a 9-month growing season. I cannot top-dress thousands of trees several times a year, so I'm considering applying liquid organic fertilizer with the irrigation water.  Can I use a Dosmatic or similar injector pump to deliver a very dilute solution of fish emulsion/compost tea through my drip irrigation system?

Thanks for any input.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz