livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Harvesting and Curing Onions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <boxwood@nelsoncable.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Harvesting and Curing Onions
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:21:56 -0400

(Quoting from article posted by Paul)
Place the onions in single layers, in large, flat trays.
Simple trays can be made with lathe strips, leaving one half inch between
strips to allow for adequate air circulation. Mesh or burlap bags may also
be used. Leave the onions in the trays or bags until the outer leaves and
neck are dry and papery.

I cure my onions (garlic, shallots) on racks attached to the wall in a hay storage area above my equipment shed. The racks are simply wood frames covered with 1-inch poultry wire, hinged to the wall and supported on the outside edge with chains and hooks. When not in use, I can unhook the chains and drop the frames flat to the wall to free up the space in the hay loft.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used."
~Wendell Berry