livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] new patent bill in House, and its effect on Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "elderberryjam" <elderberryjam@zippytech.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] new patent bill in House, and its effect on Agriculture
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 11:39:16 -0400

A long and interesting read, if you'd like to know some of the players in the GM food argument, how they are promoting their argument to politicians, and how they talk about the opposition (most notably the EU):

http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/science/hsy87547.000/hsy87547_0.HTM

This link is to "Plant Biotechnology Research and Development in Africa: Challanges and Opportunities hearing before the Subcommittee on Research, Committee on Science, House of Representatives 108th Congress, first session, June 12, 2003."

I read a New York Times article on the new patent bill passed in the House of Representatives, and I got curious. The bill is supposed to limit lawsuits on patents, and increase the difficulty in getting new patents. Microsoft was for the bill; a major argument was made against it by Dana Rohrabacher, California.

So I Googled "Rohrabacher Monsanto," and this was within the 3rd hit. The only thing I've found so far is simply that he is on the Committee on Science. I'd like to hear his argument against the bill, and I'd like to know the pharmaceutical stand on the patent bill; who is sponsoring it and why.

Gwen

  • Re: [Livingontheland] new patent bill in House, and its effect on Agriculture, elderberryjam, 09/08/2007