livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 2500 B.C. The Terraces of Moray

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 2500 B.C. The Terraces of Moray
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:30:56 -0700 (PDT)

How interesting!  I went on Google Earth and typed in Moray, Peru.  It all came up.  Click on one of the cameras on the screen and it takes you right into the "bowl" for a close-up.

The way the farmers around Lake Titicaca solved the temperature problem was by building up beds out into the lake with the water leveling out the temperatures.  I have corresponded with the professor [below] who has restored some of them.

“The ‘Green Revolution’, which attempted to impose inappropriate crops and techniques in the Andes [and many other areas of the world-KH], has been a miserable failure.  I. Garaycochea and J. Palao refer to the remains of twisted windmills, cracked irrigation canals and rusted out tractors littering the rural countryside in Bolivia as the ‘archaeology of development.’  It is ironic that the groups promoting the Green Revolution had to destroy ancient agriculture fields, to introduce inappropriate technology and capital-intensive farming.  The prehispanic raised fields are classified on government maps ‘for wildlife use only.’  ¡¡It is a good thing that those ancient farmers didn’t have access to those maps!! C Erickson, University PA

Ken

Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.