livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Synergistic Agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: emitch@att.net, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Synergistic Agriculture
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 21:17:48 -0600

Yes it's part of a larger site, check it out. You'll have the native
pollinators and predators if you set up the conditions for a local
ecosystem to develop. Then develop it will, all by itself. We don't begin
to have the science to design a natural ecosystem but Mother Nature knows
how and does it everywhere. The elements we can introduce include shade,
mulch, a variety of plants, wet areas, that sort of diverse situation.
Water attracts all sorts of things. This is occurring in and around our
gardens here. Short on shade till fruit trees put on more growth, but
simple mulch and water help, plus aged manure worked into beds and just
sitting in piles unused. I left the purple wildflowers alone; they attract
butterflies and some kind of wasp. We had nothing but rabbit brush, bare
dirt, rabbits and quail. Now we're seeing lizards, bugs of every
description, even snakes. Where food appears, something appears to eat it.
Quail visit the fenced garden daily and dig for bugs, sometimes mama and
papa and a clutch of little ones when they can fly. There's a lot more
going on beneath plants and soil where we can't see it. Where I had to pull
up the bok choy to make room for better stuff, I found the soil soft, dark,
and teeming with tiny livestock.