livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Musts and Myths of Organic

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Jean French <jwf267@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Musts and Myths of Organic
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 05:12:53 -0700 (PDT)

I actually thought that the Federal program (and law) on organics had made it illegal to use the word "organic" in a label on produce, or title of a farm unless the farm is certified, and inspected by the government-approved folks. If the farm produces less than a very small (and legally defined) amount of produce, it can be "registered organic" instead of "certified organic", and doesn't need to pay for the inspection.  I thought that's what the law now says, and why a good number of people are upset about it. It may be that no one "owns" the word, but there are legal restrictions (and costs) on the use of this word.

Jean French
jwf267@yahoo.com

<<Message: 8