livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] SOIL IS ONE SECRET SOLUTION TO GLOBAL WARMING

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] SOIL IS ONE SECRET SOLUTION TO GLOBAL WARMING
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:00:33 -0700 (PDT)

My Internet connection is to slow to watch videos online. Agriculture
needs to make a contribution to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions;
however, I’m sceptical about some of the groups actually scrambling
to cash in on the environmental trend with exaggerated claims to
earn carbon credits.

Organic farming can actually be worse than traditional farming in
terms of carbon emissions, since ploughing-under green manure
requires additional ploughing, i.e., additional fuel and additional
oxidation of nutrients into the atmosphere.

Dieter Brand
Portugal

TradingPostPaul <tradingpost@riseup.net> wrote:

as pointed out on this very list ...

SOIL IS ONE SECRET SOLUTION TO GLOBAL WARMING
Can organic farming fight climate change? Yes. And we're not
just talking about food miles. Research from the Rodale Institute shows
that sustainably-farmed soil absorbs 30% more carbon than conventional
agriculture, and switching our farmland to organic would cut greenhouse
emissions by 10% in the US (20% in Canada and most of the rest of the
world). For a concise explanation of how organic farming could be a major
tool in the fight against climate change check out the 10 minute online
video "SOIL: The Secret Solution to Global Warming," featuring Canadian
farmer Percy Schmeiser. The website includes an online petition calling on
world leaders to switch subsidies from conventional to sustainable farming
practices.
Learn more and watch: http://www.quantumshift.tv/v/1181028043/