livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] local food security

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: "Douglas Willhite" <drwillhite@earthlink.net>, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] local food security
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:27:34 -0600

Wow. You certainly picked up an interesting website there. I note they're
selling a full line of "survival" foods. To their credit they are pushing
local grow your own, yet they discourage people by saying it's so hard to
do. Also see that a great deal of the products they promote are processed
foods. His gloom is a little too convenient.

A couple points. “It’s Not Easy To Eat Local“ made a point, but that
point just shows it's rare to find a place that produces a wide variety of
the kinds of food people are used to getting. Nothing more. I do not agree
that "it’s pretty hard to grow enough food to feed yourself". Of course
you can but you won't get the variety you're used to. People used to swap
and specialize locally, and that's the real key to eating better locally in
the future. The article writer tells us he can't grow enough for himself,
but then "grow boxes" is not a fair test at all. He seems to lack the
information and techniques we've gone over again and again in this list.
It's an exaggeration to claim "It takes years to develop the proper skills,
knowledge and experience to even meet half of your daily calorie
requirements". It doesn't. It takes years to get where you can grow a wide
variety well for a market and do it quite profitably . Yet he makes some
hard points that are unfortunately true.

I can't second his dark pessimism; it's not my own view of the future. I
see hard times coming, and worse, but not sudden total collapse so we've
got to run out and spend all we've got on "survival foods". What do you do
when they finally run out? He doesn't say. Nonetheless, I feel the same
urgency for local growing, growing your own where feasible, growing for
market or swap with others.

Your mileage may vary ;-)