livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Pill Bugs & Educating the Masse

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John Smith" <mikakigr@gmail.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Pill Bugs & Educating the Masse
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:23:57 +0300

For the past week or so we have been having heavy rainstorms and it couldn't have come at a better time since there was very little rain all winter and underneath my mulch it is easy to find dust-dry soil which  explains some very stunted growth of winter vegetables in some areas of my garden.

The season started much earlier this year (very warm weather since April) and in previous years I would be planting tomato transplants about this time but they have been on sale and the conditions were right for them to be planted out well over a month now. We are at a transition period at the moment where the decision has to be made to sacrifice the winter veg which don't like hot sun but which haven't quite finished yet e.g. broad (fava) beans and broccoli.

I'm trying to do no-till as far as I can (but I'm on top of very sandy soil with very few worms in evidence), and my solution with those last two vegetables ending was to get out the hedge shears and clip them into tiny pieces from top to bottom and then to place on top of that some compost, aged manure mixed up with some mulch formed from tree bark. It was into that mixture that I planted the summer vegetables. It looked quite neat and I'm hoping it will prove to be very fertile for those plants.

John Smith, Greece