livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Preserve Food - Sent Using Google Toolbar

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Norma Sutton" <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: simple-living-in-the-computer-age@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Preserve Food - Sent Using Google Toolbar
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 19:31:29 -0400

Preserve Food

Welcome to PreserveFood.com!

There are many ways to stretch your food budget. But the tastiest way is to extend the shelf life of the food that you buy and grow. At PreserveFood.com we have all the information you need to can, freeze, dry and even vacuum seal your vegetables, herbs, fruits, meats and grains.

The traditional way to preserve your garden gains is canning. This involves heating up both jars and produce to kill of germs and then sealing the produce within the jars. In our section on canning you will find a complete description of how to can, what equipment is required, canning recipes, and more.

The most ancient and highly reliable method for preserving food is drying. Since before recorded history people have dried herbs, meats, fruits and vegetables to store them for use at a later date. Historians have even credited the ability to store foods in this way with allowing the first advances toward civilization. In the drying section we will give you all the info you need to dry food - including, dehydrating, smoking, sun-drying, air-drying and baking.

There is a new and popular way to preserve food that has just caught on in the last decade or so. Vac Sealing is a method whereby food is put inside a heavy plastic wrap and all the air removed; then it is sealed. There are many advantages to this technique, and you will want to learn more about it.

Another ancient method of preservation (especially popular in the extreme Northern Latitudes) is freezing. In this section we will tell you everything you need to know about freezing foods including, blanching and packaging. We will also include some pointers that might be helpful for freezing fruits, vegetables and meats.

If you have any comments or questions, you might wish to refer to our Bulletin Board

If you have any need to contact us directly or would like to suggest a recipe, use our online contact form. We will do our best to answer your mail within a reasonable time-frame.

Copyright © 2002-2007 W.J. Rayment, All rights reserved.

  • [Livingontheland] Preserve Food - Sent Using Google Toolbar, Norma Sutton, 05/11/2007