livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] article mentioning bees

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "mtncats" <mtncats@myway.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] article mentioning bees
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:28:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Gwen and all,

Remember that forests change with environment. Jamestown's coastal and has
different forest from here, near the Blue Ridge. Little underbrush here in a
mature forest. Um... but what exactly were those Chickahominies riding?

We live in the midst of such a forest. Large variety of bee-like buzzers, as
well as other critters. Greatly enjoyed watching a bear sniffing my van
Monday while I prepared lunch. As usual, camera-shy. No problem with
cohabitation. Just gotta observe a few rules, like any society.

Yippies were militant hippies, an oxymoron, if some of my friends. Others
opined it more appropriate without the oxy, just morons. LOL

Tom (in central Va)

--- On Wed 05/09, elderberryjam wrote in part:
There was an article in the most recent National Geographic about Jamestown.
According to this article, the continent of North America did not have honey
bees or night crawlers prior to the Jamestown settlement. It also did not
have apple or peach trees. The Indians burned the forest underbrush to make
the forests easier to ride through. They cultivated their vegetables and
grew them without honey bees.

We take a lot for granted. There are many food sources, and humanity has
adapted. Many people have lost lives during the adaptation. We just haven't
witnessed that in our era on this continent. It would be nice if we didn't
have to. But I sometimes wonder how long such good fortune from forethought
and organization can last.

Gwen

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.