livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Carbon Farmer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Carbon Farmer
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 12:17:44 -0500 (CDT)

I was under the belief that humas isn't any final product or can be in any
state of suspended animation, but that it's constantly evolving, breaking
down.

If this were not the case then I'd think that we'd be mining humas (from
"humas mines").

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

=====================
From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>

Paul, My use of the term subsoil may have been a bit too liberal. I
guess, I should have said the lower part of the topsoil. There is probably a
technical term for this. Anyway, my intended meaning was that layer, in
undisturbed soil, where permanent humus can be stored under anaerobic
conditions for a long time, and which is covered by a few inches of aerobic
topsoil where organic material is broken down under aerobic conditions, but
which is not yet stable humus, even if it looks nice and black. In
traditional agriculture, the inversion of these two layers by ploughing is
the principal cause for the loss of natural soil fertility.

[snip]