livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Cold wipes out Ill. fruit growers' crops

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@flash.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Cold wipes out Ill. fruit growers' crops
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 07:50:45 -0700 (PDT)

Looks like higher prices will be even higher now.....between the price of gasoline/diesel and the crop losses.

I wonder if any of those places had organic crops growing?  From all I have read and experienced organically grown things take cold better.  You can even fudge the climate zones a bit because what shouldn't overwinter chemically grown often will, if organically grown.  Guess it is all that plant material in and on the soil?

Gloria, Texas