livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why Organic is Better For You

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@flash.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why Organic is Better For You
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:19:20 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know the source of the information other than this is someone I do respect online who is also a doctor, but I was told the other day by this person that he has read research papers saying that heirloom vegetables and fruits are higher in nutrients than hybrids whether they are grown organically, or not.  I think both were grown organically....the hybrids and the heirlooms.

It does make some sense to me.  We lose something everytime we make hybrids to remove a different problem...or option since color is an option rather than a problem most of the time.

Has anyone seen any of this research?  I didn't think to ask him at the time.

Gloria, Texas