livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Monsanto, peak oil, Global food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Monsanto, peak oil, Global food
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:38:32 -0500

We have spent the last 100 years working to replace people on farms with
oil, now we will have to figure out how to put them back, build fences,
barter, sew, tan, etc..

The "addiction to oil" that gets discussed is not the root problem. The
root problem is that humans have sought, and found, as many possible
ways that they could to replace their own good work with (petroleum
based) machines, chemicals, and now, untested organisms. The 'monkey' on
our backs isn't the oil, per se. It is our lack of self-control when it
comes to 'shiny, noisy crap' and our profit/competition based thinking.
Our gods have even been placed in marketing competition with each other
and with Sunday Sports/Auto sales advertising.

It takes a village to create a sustainable, net creative future....but
that's ALL it takes. It doesn't take a megalopolis full of 'all hat, no
hoe' pseudo villagers shopping at Pier 1 for quaint little baskets to
carry their plastic clamshells of cilantro home from the certified
'food' store.

Civilization isn't all it's cracked up to be. The crackup will be quite
a spectacle, though.

The last 'alternative' energy source is only meant to keep people from
falling into despair over where their cheez doodles will be coming from
and how their pizza will be delivered.

The business of America is Business; and Business is a pyramid scheme
that always covers its foundation well.
The last development isn't meant to be sold or occupied. It's just built
to keep people from realizing that no more are being built.

Dan

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Monsanto, peak oil, Global food, Dan Conine, 04/12/2007