livingontheland - [Livingontheland] declining Saudi oil production/global food crisis looms

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] declining Saudi oil production/global food crisis looms
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:20:36 -0700 (PDT)

Relevant, and timely...

Here's the original Oil Drum article pointing out the
8% decline in Saudi production in
2006:

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2325

now a Saudi bank states that Saudi oil production will
continue its decline in 2007:

http://www.energybulletin.net/28400.html

then, "Further Saudi Arabia discussions" by Stuart
Staniford:

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2437

[this one is especially poignant if you have a
hankering for technical petro-geology jargon and the
lovely graphic modeling that goes with it.]

bottom line is, if this keeps up, the global peak of
oil production is actually much closer than my Mayan
Calendar model which calls for the event to occur
precisely on 12/21/2012.

and if this keeps up, moving the oil peak much closer
to *now,* then the level of global preparedness now is
unbelievably poor. For example, if you saw Friday's
New York Times story on how China is now the world's
largest importer of soybeans from Brazil, and how
completely dependent that Brazil-China soybean trade
is upon diesel-fired trucks traveling 1000 miles to
saltwater ports, you'll see how precarious the whole
global food chain now is.

Brazil's much-touted ethanol program does nothing to
move diesel-fired semi trucks such as the Mato Grosso
soybean convoys. the fuel is not inherently energetic
[85K BTU/gallon vs. 135K BTU/gal for diesel] enough to
power those trucks (nor container ships, nor
airplanes, nor John Deere diesel tractors).

we may be on the cusp of a genuine global disaster,
folks. unless, of course, Saudi Arabia is just
bluffing and actually can turn their oil production
back up any time they want... (low probability).

looks like all these upcoming Peak Oil/sustainability
etc. forums around my region and elsewhere are timely
indeed.

bobby g
http://www.biodiversecity.com/blog

Be a PS3 game guru.

  • [Livingontheland] declining Saudi oil production/global food crisis looms, Bobby G, 04/11/2007