livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] serious local agriculture

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] serious local agriculture
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:54:29 -0600

You've got a point there
>because it puts you at
>the mercy of the gifting habits of the wealthy
>(philanthropy). it also leads people to steer their
>programs toward the grants, in other words, give the
>funders what they want.

Couldn't agree more, nonprofit is not a realistic model for millions of
small scale, sustainable growers we need all over the USA. Obviously, there
isn't enough charity money to make a drop in the bucket.

Finding ways to encourage far more growers for their livelihood is numero
uno, and we're about out of time. Profit is what millions of self employed
and small farmers live on now. It's not a dirty word. Without profit,
nobody eats.