livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Waffle Gardens, Air Wells

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Waffle Gardens, Air Wells
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 21:59:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hmmm, Don't know

Theoretically the question seems to have some
observable support; People in areas as hot or hotter
grow this stuff, but those places are often with a
notably lower ground temp. Your daytime air temps
there in Virginia, or in, say, Arizona, can be as high
as ours, or higher, but your ground temps (and night
temps) average 10 to 15 degrees lower.

I do not really know whether simply lower ground temps
would be needed or both. Has there been any kind of
trial? I know that germination is temperature
sensitive, I have already reached the point at which I
need to refrigerate flats each night even to get
germination on a number of things.

Yours, Pego

<<Will cooler earth actually solve your problem Pego?
If you need both cooler earth and cooler air, you can
get it passively, or actively, with annual heat
storage. There are forums devoted to the subject,
focus on residences not greenhouses, but the same
methods apply. Very simple concept, details somewhat
more complex. Doesn't even require earth tubes, which
are one of the options.>>

Finding fabulous fares is fun.
Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and
hotel bargains.