livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Eating Better Than Organic

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Eating Better Than Organic
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:48:05 -0700

Eating Better Than Organic
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1595245-2,00.html
Friday, Mar. 02, 2007

(2 of 5)
"We're just beginning to understand these relationships," says U.C. Davis
food chemist Alyson Mitchell, one of the paper's authors. "We understand,
and have understood for a long time, that there is some relation between
soil health and plant quality, but we still don't have a solid scientific
database to link this to nutrition."

Organic adherents take it on faith that the way food is grown affects its
nutritional quality. But advocates of local eating are now making another
leap, saying what happens after harvest--how food is shipped and
handled--is perhaps even more important than how it was grown.
Locavores.com a site popular among local purists, asserts that "because
locally grown produce is freshest, it is more nutritionally complete." But
Mitchell says she knows of no studies that prove this.

several pages at
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1595245-2,00.html

  • [Livingontheland] Eating Better Than Organic, TradingPostPaul, 03/20/2007