livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Pollarding/Americas BeforeColumbus

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Pollarding/Americas BeforeColumbus
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:31:04 -0700 (PDT)

One thing to remember about Pollarding/Coppicing is
not to do this to trees growing by your home or car.
The limbs and trunks of trees cultivated in this
manner snap off more easily in high winds (here in
Hurricane alley) and prolly under the weight of
snow/ice as well. I like doing this because the
tree's roots stay in place and the canopy recovers
rapidly, leaving the tree to put it's energy into
useable wood and into recycling air.

You don't know the half of it about the tech of
ancient Americas. The Incas had indoor toilets, freeze
drying and even blood transfusion (they didn't have
the problems of plural blood types so blood could run
unimpeded from one person to another) One of the
interesting suggestions about Terra Preta has been
that it was done with controled burns but I don't feel
that this explains either the depth or the specificity
of the charcoal content. Charcoal is gained trough
incomplete burn typical of a low-oxygen environment.
Open fires would create a ash-intensive ballance, not
a charcoal intensive one. I am thinking that while
previous burns to encourage growth and would exicte an
empiricist, the plants had to be burned in a far more
specific and engineered manner to get that sort of
overwhelming Charcoal production.

Yours, Pego

Finding fabulous fares is fun.
Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and
hotel bargains.

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Pollarding/Americas BeforeColumbus, Pego Rice, 03/15/2007