livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Leaf mulch bad in the garden!?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Leaf mulch bad in the garden!?
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:47:12 -0700

It may be the soil is too acid under the trees, or some other condition may
inhibit earthworms there. Worms don't eat raw organic matter directly. They
take in the decomposed material that's first acted on by microorganisms or
other minute critters. Leaf mulch should be shredded and composted, though
I'm not sure whether madrone might have some allelopathic effect to inhibit
germination, like black walnuts have. A layer of uncomposted leaves could
form a wet mat or keep water from penetrating the soil. As for cork oak,
someone else may be familiar with that.