livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] composting chicken

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Aliza" <aliza@jeffnet.org>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] composting chicken
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:48:30 -0800

Actually chickens are quite canibalistic in nature John. If a coon or a skunk gets in the hen house by morning any parts left by the coon or skunk (skunks are notorious for just eating the head or a little of the innards) are being quickly eaten by the hens. They are quite carnivorous in nature strongly prefering bugs, carrion finds and such and only eating greens and seeds to balance their ration to keep the protein and mineral levels correct. You should see them after a dead mouse that the cat leaves out. And a blown carcass (full of maggots) is a chicken festival. Those folks who espouse the "vegetarian" ration for chickens are not giving them their natural diet.

Aliza