livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] more on greenhouse and season extension

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Mark Nagel <activism98201@verizon.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] more on greenhouse and season extension
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:41:06 -0600 (CST)

Wouldn't a trombe wall block precious sun light that the plants need?

My personal preference would be to utilize water storage (barrels). Although
they consume a lot of space, water is far away the best storage medium of
heat.

This in conjunction with layering as Paul has mentioned, sounds like the way
to go.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

=====================
From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>

Zack, I wasn’t talking about using glass for the greenhouse; you can use
any material that suites your purpose. What I meant was the glass panel
installed in front of the trombe wall used to heat the greenhouse. It may be
possible to use some kind of plastic material for this purpose too, but I
think that the inferior transparency of most plastic materials is likely to
have a negative impact on the amount of heat absorbed. The type of
passive heating you use in the end will depend very much on your
requirements and on local conditions. In my case, I just need to keep
temperatures a few degrees above the surrounding air to keep my plants from
freezing during the few nights we have night frost. To achieve this, I want
the simplest method possible, preferably without any mechanical parts or
electronic gadgets which can break or deteriorate in adverse conditions
(e.g., humidity, etc.). Do let us know your views on irrigation.
Regards, Dieter Brand, Portugal