livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Michael Pollan defends local food on UC TV

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Michael Pollan defends local food on UC TV
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 23:11:45 -0700

Watching Michael Pollan defend local food on UC TV http://www.uctv.tv/ .
This presentation was in 2006.

The UC Davis Mondavi Center presents bestselling author and UC Berkeley
journalism professor Michael Pollan. He explores the ecology of eating to
unveil why we consume what we consume in the twenty-first century. Michael
Pollan is the author, most recently, of The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural
History of Four Meals http://www.michaelpollan.com/ .

He said a lot of great things, and he quoted Aldo Leopold, Wendell Berry,
and son. We couldn't help but notice a problem though. He mentioned that if
the average person ate only $10 a week worth of local foods, that would be
a revolution. But he didn't mention that there isn't that much local food
produced. Not to mention sustainably grown organic. On this list we go
over the issues of how to produce this way, because the bottleneck is in
production. And the bottleneck is in small, local growers learning how to
produce more profitably so local production can multiply a thousandfold.

There'll be a quiz ... !