livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Backyard Wind Turbines Get ..reasonable

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Backyard Wind Turbines Get ..reasonable
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:00:35 -0800 (PST)

I have lived in several areas that had higher than
10mph wind average. I loved it, it meant that even in
waaaaay south humid mess Texas I could open the
windows and kill the a/c. When all the people around
me were getting huge bills I would be paying only the
cost of minimum access.

This turbine seems to provide some significant
improvements due to their low speed requirements and
height.

http://www.berner.com/sales/energy_windspeed.html

You have to keep in mind that surface wind speed and
the velocity of the air speed over our heads, out of
the confines of buildings and trees. Hence the 35 ft
requirement.

http://www.virtualsciencefair.org/2005/choi5m0/public_html/phys.html

Just like microclimates the land creates minature
weather and wind patterns outside the average
patterns. Hills and buildings will impede the air in
one spot, only to accelerate it in others, thus it
isn't that hard to get something a little higher than
the ground average, just go up a few feet over a hill
or a building.

yours, Pego
<<Sustainability News: Backyard Wind Turbines Get
Affordable

* Wind power in the backyard
By PRACHI PATEL-PREDD
Environmental Science & Technology, 2/7/2007
Straight to the Source
The turbine can be designed with a tower as short as
35 feet. It delivers 1.8 kilowatts of power and gives
best results when installed on a property of greater
than 0.5 acre with wind speeds above 10 miles per
hour, the manufacturer says. The costs of the turbine
plus installation fees add up to $9,000?12,000, about
half the price of other similar-sized wind generators.

more at
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_4045.cfm>>>