livingontheland - [Livingontheland] improving soil moisture-retention

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] improving soil moisture-retention
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:32:48 -0800 (PST)

Hey folks, the area i live in is called the "Central
Sands" of Wisconsin.

the problem of soil retention is in the extreme here.
driving down I-39 towards Madison, WI, one passes
signs that say: "WATCH FOR BLOWING DUST OVER ROAD."

there's a billboard right there that says "WELCOME TO
THE CENTRAL SANDS IRRIGATED VEGETABLE AREAS"

i passed through a dust storm in that area once. the
air turned a sickly yellow.

that's what's left of the sandy topsoil blowing away.

meanwhile, the irrigators were running just a couple
miles away, spraying water everywhere, not having much
effect on the loss of soils.

so, this discussion is of great interest to us as we
set out to find land for our land co-op. the
predominant soils in the area are sandy. i don't
think double-dug beds are going to be needed. rather,
the cover-cropping, no-till, and heavy mulching with
drip under the mulch seem to offer the best ideas i
hear on this list. irrigation as they practice it
here seems utterly mad to me--all that water just
evaporating into the hot winds...

thanks for all the info, everyone!

bobby g

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time