livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Eliot Coleman, peak oil and local food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Eliot Coleman, peak oil and local food
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:16:24 -0700

from A Conversation with Eliot Coleman
http://www.georgiaorganics.org/Files/Archives/GOnewsWinter05Web.pdf

I am amazed that organic has done as well as it has. What is going to
change things–and there is a lot of agreement among geologists – is
that we are at the peak of oil production. Demand is going up so fast that
there will no longer be cheap oil. It is cheap oil that makes it possible
to ship tomatoes all the way from Mexico to Maine. In twenty years, the
small local farm is going to look better and better because the cost of
transportation is going to be a lot bigger chunk of the price than it is
now.

  • [Livingontheland] Eliot Coleman, peak oil and local food, TradingPostPaul, 01/21/2007