livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Cyril Hopkins

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Cyril Hopkins
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 08:27:48 -0700

Going through Eliot Coleman's New Organic Grower, I see a point that needs
repeating: "The ideal of sustainable soil fertility has been understod for
ages and expressed by many writers". Coleman reminds us that ideas about
sustainability are not new. All the new books and websites about
sustainable agriculture ultimately come from writers and farmers practicing
methods that worked down through the ages. And all agriculture before the
20th century was organic, though not always practiced sustainably. We can
improve materials and methods and always learn more, but we don't have to
reinvent the wheel.

Coleman brings up Cyril Hopkins of Illinois in the early 20th century.
Hopkins' book used starts about $70, so I located it online at Cornell.
Might be worth printing out.

Soil fertility and permanent agriculture, Hopkins, Cyril G, 1910
http://chla.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=chla;idno=3057996