livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Creating Hugelkulture Beds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Creating Hugelkulture Beds
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:50:07 -0600

We finally got around to starting our newest hugelkulture beds. Today we nearly completed an entire 22 foot length of one.
I took photos. Be aware I have a very old camera that doesn't take very good photos. I tried to keep the quality of the pictures as viewable as possible while keeping the size small enough to load easily.
http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins/Hugelkulture.html

Some points to tell you all. First we believe in no-till. But when we bought this house the builder bulldozed more than half the land leaving mostly sandstone bedrock, subsoil, chirt and heavy clay and putting the topsoil who-knows-where. After experimenting with hugelkulture on this type of "soil that isn't soil" we found double digging for the initial start works best.

The logs we gather are very well rotted. We try to gather only that material that is in the dry branch and would wash into our neighbors front lawn if we didn't stop it. We don't like robbing the forest. But today we took wood from a part of the forest where we keep our Siberians. We lost a dog a few years ago to a rattlesnake bite so taking rotting logs (rattlesnake homes) from this area makes sense to us.

We didn't finish before we lost the light. We're all pretty worn out right now so we'll probably finish tomorrow.

Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins