livingontheland - [Livingontheland] calendula

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] calendula
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:02:35 -0800 (PST)

Calendula is a plant I want to grow more of this year and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about the many varieties available?

I'm wondering specifically if there is any great difference between the varieties for medicinal purposes?   Last year we grew some and my daughter made an oil and soap with the petals, but I read somewhere that it works to tincture the stems in vodka/gin/rum alcohol as well for anti-fungal or anti-viral properties.

planning the garden,
Carrie