livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] double digging/ Vol 72, Issue 6, message 3

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] double digging/ Vol 72, Issue 6, message 3
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 06:22:16 -0600

One could easily conclude that you originally double-dug (because you originally believed it desirable), and subsequently no-tilled (because it was too much work to double-dig).  Well, that makes sense - you achieved the benefits of double-digging by doing it once.

What I do with a new patch, here in the Texas Hill Country, where the "soil" is 6" - 12" of burned-out clay over 500' of limestone: 1) Raise it the first year (sometimes with 100% OM)  2) Fork it the second year, to mix the soil and loosen the deeper layers, (but it's easy by then), 3) No-till in subsequent years.  Seems like an easy way to get the best of both worlds.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz