livingontheland - [Livingontheland] 2nd reply to: another picture of humus growing in Arizona

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] 2nd reply to: another picture of humus growing in Arizona
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 21:03:12 -0700

Now that answers the questions. You said the arid climate was robbing the
carbon from the soil faster than it could be built up, but I still wonder
if no-till would have avoided exposing and oxidizing soil organic matter
and humus as it decomposed. Please do give us the scientific jargon and
details about slow humus buildup. Humus and Glomalin formation are
critical to living on the land. Most of us have depleted land to deal with
and I'm convinced we simply cannot afford to miss out on the best practices
for restoring the fertility of our land while making it productive for our
needs.

On 12/5/2006 at 1:52 PM Soilsecrets@aol.com wrote:

>Paul,
>
>The area near Snowflake is just as you described, barren and perhaps
>nearly
>toxic. The site has no preexisting native grass, only declining Juniperus
>
>and Ephedra shrubs and maybe if you look hard some snake weed. The soil
>is
>decomposed mineral and very easy to dig, but it has absolutely no humus
>or life.
> In the case of this site on the original farm plot, intensive compost
>application, mulching and double digging was made. From the get go the
>soil
>became productive and growing of produce was successful, but the growth
>of humus
>and the formation of a humus rich A horizon was not happening. The
>aridity of
>the site, heat of the summer and starvation of the soil life was robbing

>the carbon from the soil faster than it could be applied. The farm size
>is now
>being expanded and with the use of Soil Secrets humus Inoculants the soil
>is
>very productive from the start, first season with huge yields. The areas

>that have been retreated for up to 4 years are those areas showing a
>humus rich
>topsoil zone that is at least 3 inches deep. In many areas it is much
>deeper. There's a technical explanation for the rapid accumulation of
>humus that
>is not happening on the site, above and beyond what is being applied as a

>supplement, and I'd be glad to share that with anyone who asks. But I
>don't
>want to tie up space on this venue with scientific jargon and details.
>If the
>science is good it will work. We are now doing a lot of work with some
>international agencies and governments on the concept of carbon
>sequestering via
>humus and Glomalin formation in the soil, and that is the same thing that
>this
>site in Arizona is exemplifying.
>
>Michael M. Melendrez

  • [Livingontheland] 2nd reply to: another picture of humus growing in Arizona, TradingPostPaul, 12/05/2006