livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 2nd reply to: another picture of humusgrowing in Arizona

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Kathy Moore" <anichinimoore@hotmail.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 2nd reply to: another picture of humusgrowing in Arizona
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 14:02:32 -0600

Michael and Paul,
I'd be interested in the discussion of the science behind all of this. I'd also be interested in applying some of the same techniques on my farm (160 acres) in NW OK to restore soil life and increase organic matter, etc.

Have noticed under the extreme heat and with the extreme drought that growth is stunted in recently planted grape vines under drip irrigation. However, with some of the grape vines that were shaded by tall horsetails (6 rows of 26 got away from my hand weeding efforts) grew the most.

Believe the shade from the horsetails reduced the western sun exposure may have created increased growth? But, why is the question? Is from the carbon not being degraded as quickly so more food was available?

I'm using humates, nonhydrolized fish emulusion and kelp from Neptunes Harvest and the grass between the rows is multched. Michael's products are not available in OK to my knowledge.

I also have pasture I'd like to drip irrigate and improve so am most interested in techniques to improve soil under extreme temperatures and similiar conditions to those described. Am not a scientist, but, a farmer/gardener interesting in learning and listening to wisdom much greater than mine.

Thank you for all these discussions and information. I'm learning a lot and appreciate all of it!
Kathy Moore
NW OK