livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Downside to wind energy? (was Re: Ultimate season extension)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Downside to wind energy? (was Re: Ultimate season extension)
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 12:48:26 -0500

One bright spot - here in NM the utilities are investing *big time* in wind
generation - not PV. The cost and payback is realistic. ~paul

Sounds great, but a nagging question comes up if we start generating a lot of electrical energy by tapping the wind--I'm not talking about individual or even community-scale systems, but truly massive wind farms meant to take over a big chunk of feeding the grid: So what are we doing when we generate electron flow with a wind turbine? We are sucking *energy* out of the *wind*. Read that last sentence again. Scale the process up sufficiently, and we are reducing wind energies over a wide geographic area. At what point (scale) do we start affecting weather patterns? Anybody know of any research/thought that's been given to that one?

~Harvey in northern VA
www.themodernhomestead.us