livingontheland - [Livingontheland] THE WINTER HARVEST MANUAL

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] THE WINTER HARVEST MANUAL
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:30:22 -0700

THE WINTER HARVEST MANUAL, Eliot Coleman
Order Winter Harvest Manual
http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/main/harvest/harvest.html

Now that "organic" foods have become an international business, and more
and more bulk organic produce is shipped from far-away places, the
"organic" label alone won't help local growers compete. The most important
word to stress now is "fresh!" No matter who grew it or how well it was
grown, long distance produce is a week old by the time it gets to New
England. Week-old food is not "fresh." That is why knowledgeable food
buyers eagerly seek out local produce during the summer months. But to make
a real difference in creating a local food system, local growers need to be
able to continue supplying "fresh" food through the winter months. Our goal
has been to do that without markedly increasing our expenses or our
consumption of non-renewable resources.

The "winter-harvest," as described in this publication, can produce high
quality, organically grown crops for fresh sale during the traditional
non-farming months in all parts of the country by using locally available
resources and inexpensive climate modification. It achieves that aim by
combining the biological potential of cold-hardy vegetables with the
minimal protection of simple greenhouse technologies. The cold-hardy crops
are appropriate to the season ad the simple greenhouse techniques are
appropriate to the needs of those crops. We think this minimalist approach
has potential for growers in any part of the country where winter presently
constrains production.

  • [Livingontheland] THE WINTER HARVEST MANUAL, TradingPostPaul, 11/18/2006