livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Victory Gardens For The 21st Century

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Victory Gardens For The 21st Century
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:17:02 -0700

Victory Gardens For The 21st Century
http://www.highbrixgardens.com/garden/garden.html

The mention of Victory Gardens brings back many memories from years gone by
of tremendous national unity, patriotism, and hardship. The younger
generation may not have even heard the name.

Victory Gardens were a symbol and practical expression of America
resolutely united in its effort to defeat Nazism and Fascism. While men
served in overseas combat those that remained planted a garden so
sufficient food was available for the men in combat. People sacrificed with
“Meatless Mondays” and “Wheatless Wednesdays” so the soldiers would
have adequate food on the battlefields. More than just a garden, Victory
Gardens were a rallying point—a practical way to help firm American unity
and resolve to win the war.

Today we need a different sort of Victory Garden. The enemy we face today
is the enemy that attacks our personal health: malnourishment, which leads
to disease. The great land of America is starving for nutrition in the
midst of plenty. Today we must establish victory over our degenerating
health that results from an industrialized food supply that has lost its’
soul. The average food buyer has long since lost connection with the
producer of that food. The industrialized food producer/supplier is much
more concerned with corporate profits and, truth be told, could care less
about the health of the consumer.

Because the food supply in America has such poor nutrition levels, our
health as a nation has likewise deteriorated. In addition to poor nutrient
density, many of our foods have been subjected to genetic modification,
irradiation, extreme processing, and contamination by “designer
molecules” used to color, flavor, condition, preserve, and texturize
food. When we add up all these insults to our already poor quality food
it’s no wonder we are facing such endemic rates of heart attacks, cancer,
and medically-induced deaths relating to the overuse of so many drugs.

All of this brings us to a strategic threshold, do we let our health
continue its’ decline and look forward to drugs and surgery? Or do we
look to correct our nutritional imbalance with nutrition? I trust that most
reading this would agree that nutrition can never be successfully replaced
by drugs and surgery. So where can we find health-giving nutrition? There
are really only 2 choices; either we have to buy nutrition or we have to
grow it ourselves.

If we opt to buy nutrition we will have to seriously consider
neutriceuticals. The reality is that there is not enough A and B grade
foods on the market to maintain excellent health without some form of
supplementation and neutriceuticals. I am sure you are well aware that many
of these do not come cheap.

Important first steps in taking control of our health it to find locally
produced foods such as grass-fed meats, eggs, and dairy products. Some
foods can be improved nutritionally by fermenting. To this foundation
supplements and neutriceuticals such as Cod Liver Oil and enzyme
formulations can be added.

The next step is really the most important—grow a High Brix Garden. This
is by far the cheapest nutrition we can find. The modern day “Victory
Garden” is a High Brix Garden. A High Brix Garden is not just a run of
the mill garden; rather it produces high-quality food in the A and B grade
on a consistent basis. As a result more and more of our nutrition comes
right out of backyard. Since we have to eat anyway we might as well get as
much of our nutrition as possible from own garden.

The great thing about this approach to “growing your own nutrition” is
that as the quality improves so does the taste. The tremendous taste of
high brix foods alone would nearly compensate for all the effort it takes
to grow a High Brix Garden not even counting the incredible boost in health
and the long-term savings in medical and neutriceutical expenses.

  • [Livingontheland] Victory Gardens For The 21st Century, TradingPostPaul, 11/14/2006