livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Help with quote?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <huboxwood@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Help with quote?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:55:35 -0500

There's a quote we've all seen--some of you on the list have used it as a tag line/signature: "Civilization depends on four inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains"--something to that effect.

Would someone kindly point me to the exact wording and the source of that quote. I'm writing a piece for Mother Earth News about soil building/nurture, and am considering leading with that quote.

Many thanks.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

  • [Livingontheland] Help with quote?, Harvey Ussery, 11/10/2006