livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 65, Issue 2

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TamesonOB" <tamesonob@metrocast.net>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 65, Issue 2
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:29:29 -0500

----- Original Message -----
That Beginning Market Gardener class is sorely needed in every corner of the country, and it ought to be free.

Here, here! Incidentally as I was looking for the growing for market book I found this magazine:

http://www.growingformarket.com/

Anyway, since we are on the topic of Market gardens I would like to tell you folks about a little boy that lives down the street from me. He has just finished his 3rd season of market gardening and his enterprise has grown from a "free veggies donations welcome" table to a full fledged booth with prices, a scale, a white board with updates on the ETA of certain special highly desirable veggies and most of all a roof and rudimentary refrigeration (Buckets on top of an ice box) for lettuces and things that wilt easily. I'm really impressed with how much his market garden has grown and how well he's doing. He doesn't own his garden plot (neither do his parents) he lives in a multifamily apartment house. But the most impressive thing about this boy is that he is 10 years old and this year he made close to $1000.00. That's way more than my 9 year old made ;0) If this little guy can make a go at market gardening think what a grown up with more land more muscle and more attention span could do.

Tameson - NH z 5

(hey - did I use the right Here above or should it have been Hear, hear?)