livingontheland - [Livingontheland] lacto-fermented horseradish

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Carrie Shepard <carrieshepard@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] lacto-fermented horseradish
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 05:46:02 -0800 (PST)

I finally made my first lacto-fermented horseradish, haven't made the finished sauce yet, but we've sampled the horseradish and it's wonderful.

Recipe:

freshly dug horseradish roots, peeled and grated them into pint-sized jar,  added 1 T sea salt with the minerals, and 4 T kefir whey, let set on counter for 3 days, moved to fridge.

I plan to make some homemade mayo using our own eggs, 1/2 olive oil, 1/2 virgin coconut oil and some vita-mixed lacto-fermented horseradish to make our own horsey-sauce.

Blessings,
Carrie
garlic and walking onions are in and most of the garden's mulched with freshly fallen leaves.  I have a bed with some chinese cabbage seedlings under polypropylene and still have one 40 foot row to dig up as it got out of control with bermuda grass this summer, but the rest of the garden looks wonderful.