livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 64, Issue 2

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gloria Baikauskas <gcb49@flash.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 64, Issue 2
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:20:06 -0700 (PDT)

Re:  European farming methods blamed for soil degradation

This is actually happening in many places in the world. In India they are frantic to feed their people trying anything except chemical farming.  They nearly lost it all being guinea pigs for GMO crops like cotton....after which the farmers in their richest agricultural area drank DDT to kill themselves finding themselves in ruin.

In some states they are using mostly organic methods, but in some areas Permaculture and Fukuoka's Natural Farming are gaining huge followers.  Fukuoka himself spent much time in India trying to help them turn things around when he was younger...he's like 92 now I think and retired.

But.....the one place most worried about from those outside of the country is the US where they see our Breadbasket and Western state areas as vast deserts made worse by the practice of leaving the soil bare between plantings.  We are literally seeing far more pulmonary problems even from just allergy sufferers because of the increased amount of topsoil blowing in the wind....especially now with the widespread drought.

Do remember that in order for it to rain there must be enough groundwater to attract the whole process that makes the clouds empty of moisture.  When the soil is tilled and bare there is not much moisture coming from below.  One reason for this is that there is always water below the soil level that comes up in the mornings.  When the soil is covered with mulch, or living material it stays there...but when it is bare it evaporates leaving the ground area drier.  Sadly so.

Our acquifers are emptying because farmers are planting crops ill suited for the area <now mostly corn to get in on the money from the ethanol bonanza>, as well as bad farming practices in general.  Instead of fixing the problem the government just keeps letting the chemical companies throw new chemicals at the problem making it all far worse...because the already dead soil has even less chance of recovery that way.

It may be that only those who practice rainwater conservation and some form of organic method gardening/farming will have any crops to harvest before long.  It is probable that like the 1950s when the US first became an agricultural importer instead of exporter the 2000s will see the same.  They will blame it on the gas prices to move the food across the country.....the shortages....or some other inane excuse instead of trying to fix it the way that will work best because it will not be an overnight cure.  That is why we joined the chemical bandwagon in the first place.....twas a more instant cure for the ag economy and supply than what the leading ag experts of the day recommended from their research.

Gloria, Texas