livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fellow Travellers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: aliza <aliza@jeffnet.org>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fellow Travellers
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:28:54 -0700

Hmmm.... Notice there was no offering of local organic foods:o( I am starting to wonder if folks think that the only organically grown grown food is corporate stuff. I am not talking about certification here - just simple organically grown or better yet no till biodynamic - no pesticides, herbicides, chemical fertilizers, anthelmics - the list is long. I strongly prefer to grow it myself. Next would be organically grown local then organically grown and shipped. I dont think that there is any way I can justify the use of foods that are grown with methods that poison the soil and water. Obviously there are problems with corporate foods - both local and shipped in. Obviously the "organic standards" arent enough. But jimminy cricket at least there is some level of oversee. I definately would purchase a shipped organic apple over a conventional one that is grown locally. I live near Harry and David and am in apple and pear country. The amount of spraying that goes on in conventional foods is appalling. I really dont want my water poisoned any more then I want the folks that live far from me to have their water poisoned. Buying local from non organic methods just reinforces the conventional model.

I am not articulating this very well at all but it seems to me that the question isnt local vs organic it is how do we create a local model of sustainable agriculture which in my view must include organic growning methods as a base or we are just poisoning ourselves.

aliza
who is obviously really frustrated - I just heard that Hershey's bought out our own local Dagoba Chocolate though I havent confirmed it yet:o(

Message: 2