livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Demand For Locally Grown Produce Is High

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Demand For Locally Grown Produce Is High
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 06:54:29 -0600

http://acreage.unl.edu/news/News/Fruit&VegFarming.htm

Demand For Locally Grown Produce Is High

Just recently I received a phone call from an individual who wants to start
a farmers market in south Omaha. He has the buyers and the interest of the
neighborhood, but not the suppliers. I am afraid that I was not that
helpful as the local farmers providing these types of products such as
vegetables and fruits are being stretched to the limit. There are just not
that many farmers willing to raise products for the six or seven farmers
markets found in Omaha today as well as our own farmers market here in
Blair.

In addition, there is also a need for products at a step higher than the
farmers markets. Entities such as the University of Nebraska - Lincoln,
Metro-Community College and many local restaurants are wanting to buy at
least part of their food locally, but have the problem of finding a source
for it. As an example, the University of Nebraska - Lincoln has and is
willing to provide locally grown foods for some of their dormitory
cafeterias. They have done this in the past with good success and want to
increase the availability of those foods for their students. The only
drawback is that they are having a difficult time finding enough locally
grown products to meet their needs.

I always find it amazing that in Eastern Nebraska, we have some of the
finest, most fertile soils in the world coupled with tremendous irrigation
potential in most areas. It would seem that we could raise our own food.
However, the sad fact is that we still transport the food we eat an average
of 1300 miles to get it on our table. At a time of high fuel costs,
doesn’t it make sense to locally grow as much of our food as possible?

Yes, we do have four seasons and that does unfortunately cut down our
production of produce. However, even that effect is being reduced through
the use of greenhouses and high tunnel systems for early and late season
production of produce.

I would encourage anyone who has an interest in being an entrepreneur in
agriculture to consider growing fruits and vegetables. I would recommend
they begin small by producing food for a farmers market in their area.
After they have gained confidence in what they are doing, they might
increase their production to provide for the needs of institutions looking
for locally grown foods.

Having first hand experience, I know that marketing through a farmers
market is not easy. You’re dealing with people and sometimes that can be
rather frustrating. It also can be a lot of fun and very rewarding but it
is certainly not like taking your product to the local elevator and selling
it for the price that is given.

In order to be successful at a farmers market, you must have excellent
quality in your produce. It also helps tremendously to have something
unique that no one else has to get people to your booth. During the latter
part of July, when everyone has loads of tomatoes, it can be frustrating if
you are one of those with boat loads of tomatoes. However, if you have
heirloom varieties of tomatoes or some other unique produce, it brings in
clientele to your booth. Using little or no pesticides in growing these
products is also certainly a benefit when selling the product.

For those considering selling wholesale, the key word in consistency. You
need to be able to produce a certain crop over a long period of time and a
constant rate of production. Certainly it takes more experience and more
time, but the results certainly are more lucrative.

Can I retire from my day job and do this full time retiring as a
millionaire. The quick answer is no. I would not quit my day job until I
was certain that I knew what I was doing and what the financial
opportunities were. At the same time, enterprises such as this certainly
can help augment your income a great deal. A second income such as this
just might keep a farmer in business. Unused land resources of an acreage
owner would be ideal for this type of enterprise.

There is an opportunity for farmers in Washington County for this type of
production. Take advantage of it.

  • [Livingontheland] Demand For Locally Grown Produce Is High, TradingPostPaul, 10/03/2006