livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Salt Spring Island

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Salt Spring Island
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:33:37 -0600

Salt Spring Island is in British Columbia, the organic capital of Canada.
Salt Spring Farm Directories
http://www.saltspringmarket.com/salt_spring_island_farmers/farm_directory.ht

This is from http://www.seedsanctuary.com/
Welcome to the Seed and Plant Sanctuary for Canada!

* We are a charitable organization dedicated to the health and vitality
of the earth through the preservation and promotion of heritage and
heirloom seeds.
* We are committed to maintaining, evaluating and keeping databases for
all the edible, medicinal and useful crops that can be grown in Canada.
* We are a learning centre and network encouraging local food and seed
production.

This website was launched in January 2003. The Plant Description Databases
found here will be updated and expanded annually as we grow out plant
cultivars and expand our organic seed bank. In the future, we intend to
make this website interactive with growers across Canada.

In 2003, we focussed on lettuces, tomatoes, garlic and legumes. If you
click on any of the databases for these plants, you'll see how we've
described and commented on each variety.

In 2004, we amassed a substantial collection of herbs and heirloom grains,
which are now available to Sanctuary members.

In 2005, we will be growing out peppers, eggplants and greens while
maintaining and enlarging our seed bank from the two previous years.

Salt Spring Island, on the coast of B.C., is the place where organic
gardeners and farmers are growing out seeds for the Sanctuary. We are
beginning to have many grower/members across Canada. It is essential to see
how varieties do in other parts of the country and through a lot of growing
years. Grower/members will be a crucial back up (or gene bank) in case of
crop failures, fires, floods or genetic contamination here on Salt Spring.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

  • [Livingontheland] Salt Spring Island, TradingPostPaul, 09/27/2006