livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Hospitals Go Organic for Patients' Sake

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Hospitals Go Organic for Patients' Sake
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:52:43 -0600

Hospitals Go Organic for Patients' Sake

Email this Story

Sep 24, 6:57 PM (ET)

By SARAH SKIDMORE

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Patients at Good Shepherd Medical Center like the
hospital food so much, some come back to eat after their stay is over.

The food is cooked from scratch. The menu features offerings like wild
salmon and local organic produce. Even the pie has a hint of health, packed
with antioxidant-rich dried cherries.

"Oh man it was good," said Angela Mallory, a 21-year-old who stayed at the
hospital in rural Hermiston, Ore. for five days recently for the birth of
her son.

She was reticent about trying the naturally lean bison, but wound up
enjoying it. She also dined on pasta primavera with fresh vegetables. She
now makes a point of trying to meet her mom, who works at the hospital, for
lunch.

Good Shepherd is one of many hospitals across the nation offering food
that's healthier for patients, workers and the environment.

Some hospitals have created onsite farmers markets. Others have hired chefs
and former restaurant employees to run their kitchens.

"What we are trying to do is provide not just our patients, but everybody
that eats here, with foods that are health promoting," said Nancy Gummer,
director of nutrition services at Good Shepherd.

The hospital no longer needs to modify each meal for a patient's sodium or
fat restrictions. Instead it serves healthy food to everyone. In just one
year, Gummer has been able to rid the hospital of all trans fats and major
additives.

Our bodies are "bombarded with this stuff all the time," Gummer said. "All
our ingredients are actually food."

Hospitals, which have typically served institutional food because of labor
or cost demands, are changing their approach.

"The purer and cleaner the food is, the better the ability of that food to
improve the health of people," said Mark Peterson, manager of food,
nutrition and environmental services for St. Charles Medical Centers in the
central Oregon cities of Bend and Redmond. "That is a key recognition
hospitals are making."

Patients at Peterson's hospitals can get fresh fruit smoothies or visit the
onsite farmers market.

Medical centers from California to North Carolina are hosting farmers
markets where patients and staff can grab fresh fruits and vegetables to
snack on, and some are even buying produce for the kitchen there. The trend
is more popular in the West, where produce is abundant.

The California-based health system Kaiser Permanente launched a farmers
market at its Oakland hospital in 2003. The system now has markets at 31
medical sites.

"Having it there for the benefit of the patients, our staff and the
neighborhood was a natural match with our mission of good health and
community support," said Dr. Preston Manning, who is responsible for the
initial Kaiser market.

Hospitals have also begun using food practices that are friendlier to the
environment.

Catholic Healthcare West grows its own produce onsite at its Santa Cruz,
Calif., hospital. Fletcher Allen Health Care in Vermont and others compost
food waste on site. A few have switched to fully biodegradable
sugarcane-based containers instead of Styrofoam. Room service-style food is
becoming prevalent for patients, which improves patient satisfaction and
reduces waste.

Coffee is organic fair trade, meat is antibiotic-free and milk is free of
added hormones at a number of facilities.

Some hospitals are even cracking down on the fattening treats at coffee
carts and vending machines.

"It is important that we recognize the connection between a healthy earth
and healthy human beings," said Sr. Mary Ellen Leciejewski, ecology program
coordinator for Catholic Healthcare West in Santa Cruz. "If we don't have a
healthy planet, we won't have healthy human beings."

The efforts are earning good feedback from staff and patients, such as
those
who schedule their appointments around farmers markets.

"You can't beat the taste," said Julie Yochim, 50, a nurse at Kaiser
Permanente in Portland as she visited a farmers market across the street
that the medical center worked with the community to develop.

"It is healthy, but you forget what a carrot is until you try one of
those,"
she said, pointing to a nearby booth.

Retail sales at Oregon Health and Science University's hospital have more
than doubled in the past three or four years since making a number of major
changes, including adding vegan options, said Steven Hiatt, director of
food
and nutrition services.

This is good news for hospital budgets, because the majority of the food
used is for visitors or workers, rather than patients.

It's also good news for dietitians and nutritionists, who say staff support
is crucial to encourage changes for patients.

"We needed to walk the talk," said Sandra Kelly, the food and nutrition
manager for Kaiser's Northwest region.

Michelle Frain Muldoon

Director, Agriculture Programs/FarmServe Africa

  • [Livingontheland] Hospitals Go Organic for Patients' Sake, Tradingpost, 09/25/2006