livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] living small but smart article

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@dotnet.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] living small but smart article
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 11:23:05 -0500

My reply is to the article, not necessarily to anyone's views on this list,

"Michael Moon says money can be made in agriculture, and he opposes government subsidies to ranchers and farmers. ``The reason people don't make money is because they're not farming or ranching smart,'' Moon said. ``They're going into debt.''"

I think the faulty premise is that agriculture is something to make money. Most people will say "money is just a tool", and it is. It is a tool that allows people to disconnect from the commons by remote control. If the article would have said "there is increase to be made in agriculture", then perhaps we could begin to think in terms of future benefits not only to the farmer, but to the land itself. If we always think in terms of extracting wealth from the land, we will never be sustainable as a species.

Just food for thought.

Dan