livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Pecan scab

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Pecan scab
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:23:23 -0500

Anyone have suggestions for restoring the health of a fungus infested pecan orchard?

The trees are very old, the size of a good sized oak tree.  The are very productive, as far as numbers and size of pecans. But they are all destroyed by what I assume is Cladosporium caryigenum.

The ground beneath the trees is well covered with leaf mould, as we don't rake or hay in that area.

Any suggestions? Even if I were willing to spray fungicide (which I'm  not) and had time to do it (which I don't) I think the size of the trees would make it impossible without bringing in a cherry picker!

Laurie Ann