livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Garden Disaster

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Cyrena" <imbutaful@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Garden Disaster
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:01:29 -0000

Looking for some helpful information. My garden did not do well.
Actually my first garden. Cherry and grape tomatoes doing OK.
Strawberries did OK. 14 stalks of corn only produced 2 ears (but were
delicious). Stalks only got about 3 to 3 1/2 ft. tall. Cucumbers are
not moist and bitter, some grow out yellow but they are growing.
Entire cucumber plants are only about 2 ft. tall. Roma tomatoes did
grow but were not moist, on dry side like cucumbers. Lemon Boy
tomatoe just not doing much. Beaf Steak type tomato didn't produce
anything. None of the tomato plants got very big either. Bell pepper
plants are only about 1 1/2 ft. tall and peppers are very small.
These are in square foot beds. I used the mix of 1/3 each of
compost, peat moss and vermiculite. The beds are about 2 yr's old.
Strawberries were planted then. The only other thing I tried to grow
before this garden was garlic which did OK I guess. That was about
the time we had all the rain here in Calif. Now, I water and water
and only the top 1 inch or so is wet when I poke a hole. Then of
course the next day is dry. When I first planted I used Sure Start
ferilizer but wasn't able to use any other fertilizer and did not
mulch. I am hoping when I plant again if I add lots of compost, use
fertilizer and mulch that it will do better. Please tell me I am
correct!!! I am so sad that it didn't do better and hoping that was
the only problem and not just my luck. My husband call all my
plants "victims". I am in Azusa, Ca. I think it's Zone 9.